Brest Hero Fortress
The memorial complex Brest Hero Fortress, opened on September 25, 1971. And immortalized the heroic deed of the garrison, is the most visited tourist site in Brest. The fortress was originally built as a military objective at the beginning of the XIXth century by the decision of Russian Emperor Nicholas l. The defenders of the Brest stronghold fought in its forts from the first hours of World War .II. By 7 am. on June 22, 1941 the enemy had already captured the city but the defense of the fortress lasted for more than a month.
None of the battle colours of the military forces, fighting in the fortress, was given to Nazis. On May 8, 1965 the Brest Fortress, the only one in the vast Soviet Union, was awarded the title “Hero Fortress” and the Order of Lenin and the medal “Golden Star”. The complex consists of a monumental main entrance “Star”, a monument “Courage”, a bayonet and a necropolis in Ceremonials Square, a sculpture Thirst”, an exhibition of the models of the citadel weapons, a monument to the Heroes of the border, some survived buildings and preserved rurns.